Thursday, July 13, 2006

New Look

Do we like it? Hate it? I got tired of the fuzzy typeface and went looking for higher resolution. Don't be surprised if this blog goes through a few face-lifts in the coming months. If I'm calling myself tech savvy, it's time to walk the walk.

I meant to write last night, but collapsed with exhaustion after a rather intense kickboxing class (stop laughing). Every so often it's a good idea to bring this journal back to my original intent: A Singer's Journal.

I practiced well last night, it's a great feeling. I got together on Tuesday to rehearse with a pianist friend (yes, we like making friends with keyboardists who actual want to work with me, not just collect cash to work for me!), but we ended up gabbing and planning instead of singing, so I had a night off. Maybe that's what made my throat more relaxed today, but somehow I was able to sing with greater ease and strength than usual. The trick that I have to keep reminding myself of is in the support system. I had thought of support as abdominal strength, but it actually has to do with using the stomach muscles to open the rib cage, creating more space for resonance. Newborns understand this extremely well, which is why they can produce such powerful sounds with limited muscle.

Good support also frees up the throat, which is the next important space for resonance. The more space, the better the sound, the easier the production, the less air you need, the better the carrying power. The paradox of studying any instrument is that you must work extremely hard for it to become easy. I'm owning the first part of that idea, and finally beginning to accept that in my practice, if it feels easy, it probably is right.

Well, that's enough for boring vacl technique now, isn't it? Back to dreary, soul-searching pity parties.

No comments: