Friday, August 18, 2006

No Cure Like Travel

Om.

The single trip I will take on an airplane this year fall two days after an unravelled terrorist plot heightens airline security.

Om.

Because of this, I check a bag I would otherwise have carried on. Om. This is also the first time that the airplane gods decide that it is my turn to lose my luggage.

Om.

During my three day stay in New York, I am anxious about my entire summer wardrobe now gone missing, not to mention my asthma meds.

But the bag came back! And here I am safely in Seattle for a 10-day workshop and visiting friends. I've been looking forward to this all summer, but truthfully, I came here with more than a little dread. I tend to fall apart at these workshops: invariably I am intimidated by singers who are younger, prettier, better, and more accomplished than me. Regardless of the fact that I also encounter people who are my equals, or are older, uglier, worse, and less accomplished (!), I put some work into keeping it together.

But so far, I think I'll like it here. I'm staying with my hilarious college pal Audrey, and I'm meeting friends old and new at the workshop. Yesterday at least four people approached me, convinced that they knew me from somewhere but we could not find the connection. This usually happens a few times a year, not all in one day. I wonder what it means??

I better run off to the bakery now for my breakfast of a scone and mandatory cup of coffee, and then off to work on some very old music in the very new part of the new world!

Me with Madelyn, Jeanmarie's baby girl.

Here's my sassy host Audrey. I offered to take her out to dinner to thank her for letting me stay, and she chose dollar taco Tuesday at a lesbian bar!

My alarm clock Mazzie, one of Audrey's two dogs.
A bouquet for Jeanmarie, dahlias and Queen Anne's lace. The famous Pike Place Market sells breathtakingly beautiful flowers for practically pennies.
The obligatory tourist shot of the very first Starbucks.

No comments: