Thursday, September 21, 2006

Let me rephrase that.....

After re-reading my somewhat gruesome previous post, I realized I should clarify something: I’m actually starting to like auditioning! After I left the audition I wrote about before, I felt jumpy, that’s true, but fairly pleased with how things turned out, and knowing that I couldn’t have done better than I did. The self doubt etc. comes when I think thinks went poorly, but mostly I’ve learned not to worry about it. After showing up and finishing off, there’s nothing more I can do about it.

That audition even earned praise from the chair of the opera department for my poise. But as for my placement in the opera program? The lowest rung of all: a performance class with no chance of being considered for one of the productions. I was stung, but my teacher was pleased. Apparently, not all voice majors are accepted in the class or the operas, and it was something of a coup for a singer from the historical performance department. In general, opera singers view the early music singer as an ugly, retarded second-cousin. I’ll learn something from this class (and maybe my younger colleagues will learn something from me), and it’s a smaller time commitment that frees me up for other things……

………such as more auditions. It is the beginning of audition season now, as every youngish singer in the country chases after summer programs, young artist apprenticeships, and any other opportunity that will get them onstage. I’ll join that flock, and meanwhile, I’m auditioning for local things around Boston. Quite a few, I must say, and some particularly exciting ones. I have my eye on a role I feel destined for, perfect for a tall mezzo, at a place where they just might want to have me….. I won’t even describe it, for fear of jinxing it. Whatever happens, I am learning to audition, and that’s valuable enough.

* * * * *

“A lot of good voices went down with those towers.” It was days after September 11, 2001, when learning how to sing seemed like the most frivolous thing in the world, but I had dutifully come in for my voice lesson. My teacher was explaining that the World Trade Center was a favorite place for singers to temp, where the financial giants paid the best hourly rates to help working (and aspiring singers) in the lean months. (At the time my teacher was in remission from cancer. It would soon return with aggression, and he would die within 30 months.)

There must have been singers who were just returning from summer programs, or singers who perform during the year but work in offices during the slow summer. Singers just about to quit their jobs for a chance to sing, singers just out of college trying to work to pay their debts before pursuing their career — later.

Whatever my failures or disappointments, I accept them gratefully, as I’m sure these colleagues would have done.

No comments: