Saturday, December 01, 2007

Gastronomie de Cambridgeport



Since moving into this big, beautiful Victorian, with its big beautiful kitchen, I have been bitten by the Julia Child bug. Finally, after six years of living in small places, I have enough counterspace to cook decent meals. And generate photgraphic evidence. Bon Appetit.


Clafouti! Say it out loud, it's fun! With Maine blueberries and local peaches.




I was inspired one day in September to go home and make a leek souffle, or Lauchauflauf, as I first learned the dish. Having four roommates reminded me of my semester in a Wohngemeinschaft in Germany, where I shared a hallway with up to 20 people at one point. This is a nice dish to share.




Insalata caprese with green zebra tomatoes, and a heaping serving of nostalgia.




The green zebras didn't taste as nice a few weeks later, when I bought them after a cold snap. But the main course was successful: rock Cornish game hen basted with soy and honey, and roasted sweet potatoes, onions, and delicata squash braised with cider.



And just last night I pursued my squash romance with something I called a "concoction." Ground turkey with yellow pepper, white wine, sage, and rice, served on a custardy baked kabocha squash. The plates were quite heavy!

It looks like a pine cone, or a mathematical conundrum, but I just found this odd veg at the farmer's market down the street. It tasted much like a cauliflower.

Ohmygod, he's going to eat it!??

No comments: